Thursday, March 8, 2012

Putting Pen To Paper

I've been doing a fair amoint of writing lately. It seems to come and go in spurts for me. Subject matter varries for me and a lot of stuff lately is more personal experience rather than technical. For me reading magazine articles from the latest issue of Blah Blah Angler is almost painful. The majority of fly fishing / tying magazines are just full of pointless, emotionless dribble. If I read one more article about fishing this location, from this resort, this fly shop, this fly, I may pass out from bordem. If you are writing articles for a leading publication please make it interesting, and tell me a story. I am a reader wanting entertainment, not a high school English teacher looking to see if you followed all the guidelines in order to graduate. Don't sell me on a fishing trip, your magazine has plenty of advertising already. Then on to photography. I love beautiful images of flies stuck in a fishes maw, hero shots, clear fly photographs, and the like, but I swear there are only two photographers allowed to publish photos in the slew of magazines out there. Good for them, but I can recognize your photos a mile away. Show me something artistic and full of content that shares your passion with me. Hatches magazine typically does this and I feel honored that they find most my articles worthy of their online magazine. I write because I enjoy it and I'm not selling you on anything but experiences. Yes I plug products here and there because I believe in them. This industry is built on a passion, forget the publishers full of fluff in business to be in business.....go grass roots and show those who have the heart, to keep at it. Remeber this, I write to put pen to paper, not because I have to, but because I enjoy it. I'm attaching a link to some of my articles in Hatches.....read and enjoy them when you have time.


http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/tag/vern-o/?utm_source=FTFEmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3-1

No comments:

Post a Comment