Thursday, November 15, 2012

November 13, 2012




Every year around mid November I try to head to a well known Western, NY tributary to fish with my buddy Eric....aka "E".  This year was no different...only I had been suffering a case of the no steelhead on the swing blues.  I was going to do everything in my power to connect with a fish.  This trib is what I would consider too small to swing a spey rod, but my 4wt switch would be perfect, and I could dirty nymph if it got that bad.  It got that bad.....there were plenty of fish present, but no takers on the swing.  I decided to dead drift some soft hackles and it got the job done.  It was refreshing to say the least and it gave me insight into the time of the year and what the fish tend to take.....it is not always eggs!!!  Anyway for me, I am off to the International Fly Tying Symposium in Somerset, NJ this weekend and look forward to talking shop with all the fine folks there.

No comments:

Post a Comment